Login NowClose 
Sign In to h-ponline.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Richison gets 20 years prison

by James Ehle - jehle@h-ponline.com

Ryan M. Richison was sentenced on Tuesday after he was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter in conjunction with the death of Kyle Randall on Jan. 1, 2018.

Richison was sentenced to 20 years in prison and 5 years on probation for Count 1, a voluntary manslaughter charge, along with anger management and alcohol and drug counseling, according to special prosecutor Karen Richards.

He was sentenced to 1 year in prison and 1 year on probation for Count 2, residential entry breaking and entering of a dwelling, and 90 days for Count 3, criminal mischief for damages to property, according to Richards. Counts 2 and 3 are to be served concurrently.

Jurors found Richison guilty of voluntary manslaughter, residential entry and criminal mischief on Friday, Aug. 23.

Richison was initially charged with murder after police say he stabbed Kyle Randall, who died of a stab wound to his chest that pierced his right and left ventricle, according to autopsy results.

Voluntary manslaughter, a Level 2 felony, carries a possible sentence of between 10 to 30 years, according to Indiana code. Murder carries a mandatory sentence between 45 to 65 years, and those convicted of murder could be sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Special prosecutors Karen Richards and Adam Mildred objected to the consideration of the reckless homicide charge on the final day of Richison’s jury trial on Aug. 23.

When officers arrived at the scene of the New Year's Eve party around 5 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2018, police found Randall unresponsive, suffering from multiple stab wounds. An autopsy revealed that Randall died of a stab wound to the chest, and his death was ruled a homicide, according to police reports.

Witnesses testify that when Richison returned to the party around 4 a.m., he became visibly agitated, punching a hole into the wall of the home. Later that night, Richison later allegedly instigated the fight with Randall, which led to Randall's death.

Police say Richison immediately fled the home on foot, and within a few minutes of being dispatched to the party, Gregory Hamilton advised police that a male subject attempted to enter the front door of his home before breaking a window of his garage and climbing inside.

"He looked messed up," Hamilton recalled, later describing his posture as slouched and his demeanor as being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Police detained Richison as he was attempting to exit the garage. When questioned, Richison said he could not remember the events of the evening, saying, "he only knew that he woke up in a hospital room and he must have done something bad," according to the police report.

At the time of the sentencing on Tuesday, Sept. 17, Richison had 624 days of jail credit, according to Richards.